Grandma Approved Family Recipe

The kitchen is the heart of the home and for me it holds so many memories. So many of my memories revolve around food.

I remember when I was just a tiny little girl and we'd go visit my great grandmother on the weekends. She always had a home cooked meal ready. It was never a small meal either, it was a full blown southern meal. I think this is where my love of food began. I remember being in her tiny kitchen filled with the smells of food and all the love in the world. She was an amazing cook. And all those times I'd spend the night with my Grandma and she and I would bake cookies. And the holidays spent in the kitchen cooking for hours with my parents. I especially love baking with my mom during the holidays.

Food brings people together but to me, a great meal is so much more than that. The laughter and stories shared and the memories created are what it's all about. So today's Blogtember Challenge with Bailey from Brave Love Blog is one that I absolutely adore.

A family recipe (if grandma allows, of course)!

My Grandma's Coke Cake

This recipe is one of my favorites because Coke-a-Cola is a staple in the South and this cake is so amazingly delicious.

MIX IN LARGE BOWL

2 CUPS PLAIN FLOUR
2 CUPS SUGAR
3 TABLESPOONS COCOA

IN A PAN, BRING TO A BOIL THE FOLLOWING AND POUR OVER ABOVE DRY INGREDIENTS:

1 STICK MARGARINE
1/2 CUP WESSON OIL
1 CUP COKE

THEN ADD REMAINING INGREDIENTS:

1/2 CUP BUTTERMILK
1 TEASPOON BAKING SODA
1 WHOLE EGG
1 TEASPOON VANILLA

BAKE IN 9 X 13 PAN AT 325 DEGREES UNTIL DONE (ABOUT 30 MINUTES)


"ICING"

1 STICK MARGARINE
6 TABLESPOONS COKE
3 TABLESPOONS COCOA

BRING TO A BOIL AND ADD

1 TEASPOON VANILLA
1 BOX POWDERED SUGAR

VARIATION: 1 CUP CHOPPED NUTS (BLAKC WALNUTS OR PECANS) MAY BE ADDED.

POUR OVER COKE CAKE WHILE STILL WARM.



Ya'll this post made me feel all kinds of warm, fuzzy nostalgia. So feel free to share one of my family classics with your family and post a picture on Instagram and don't forget to tag me in your post. Use #peachyfamilyrecipes



No comments

Thanks for stopping by and leaving some love. Have a peachy day.