Staying Happy.

One time I had a friend ask me "how do you stay happy all the time?" One of my best friends in high school called me Sunshine because I was happy pretty much all the time. Little does she know, every time I see her, even to this day, she brings a little Sunshine to my life. She's the only reason I still use the same pharmacy I always have. My soon to be Mother in Law noticed how much I laugh when she first met me. She's like that, too so we're basically one in the same. I love that she laughs at the same stuff I do, which is basically everything, unless it's something sad.

Truth of the matter is that i'm just as human as you are and with that comes times of feeling anything but happy. It's life but I try not to dwell on the un-happy times too much. You allow yourself to feel them, you allow yourself time to cry then you decide that it's time to move on. I don't know about you but crying takes an awful lot out of me and I don't like the feeling it leaves behind. Drained, red eyed, mascara run, tear stained face isn't fun for anyone so why not change that if you can?

I'm the kind of person who doesn't care if the glass is half empty or half full as long as there is something in it. That's reason enough to be happy, right? You can say "My glass is half full or wine" Or you can whine that your glass is already half empty of wine OR you can rejoice and be happy because there is any wine left at all. And no, it doesn't have to be wine but I do love wine. Which kind of person are you? I'm the very last because I think that finding something good in every. single. thing. is the absolute very best. You can turn everything around and find the good and beauty of it if you just believe.

That's something I try to drill into my son and Fiance's heads all the time. Find the good and believe in yourself. It frustrates me to see people whom I know have amazing lives and can't see that for themselves because they're so focused on the negative. I know depression is a horrible disease and I've watched people I love struggle with it. The struggle is real, I know but I promise you that you can come out on the other side. I believe because I've seen it happen.

If you can't think of anything good in your life, allow me to help you out. You woke up this morning. Isn't that good enough? It's proof that God (or whomever you believe in) wants you here for another day. You're blessed enough to wake up this morning and see the sun shining, or the rain falling. That's enough. Make up your mind to be happy. Only you can choose that.


Sometimes you have to be your own sunshine in life. You're capable of that, we all are, you just have to believe.
When I need to make myself happy or just stay happy I love to do these things.

♡ Turn up some music and dance (Pitbull, JLo, Beyonce) Whatever your jam is put up on LOUD and dance like no one's watching {they're not, they've all got their noses in their phones anyway.}

♡ Light a candle, turn on the We Bought A Zoo Soundtrack on Spotify, and write. Write whatever it is that's on your heart. If you cry in the process, okay. Cry then let it go when you're done.

♡ Write someone a note, address it, stamp it, stick it in the mailbox and actually send it.

♡ Call someone up and see if you can do something to help them out.

♡ Bake cookies or cupcakes (everyone loves those), double the recipe. Keep 1/2 then give 1/2 away.

♡ Go outside, look up at the planes passing by and think about where they might be going. In my mind they're always headed somewhere tropical that i'd love to visit. Imagine yourself going on that vacation.

♡ Make something, anything. You don't have to be crafty or even a great cook to make things. Just do it and enjoy the process.

♡ Write a list of at least 10 things you're happy for. No matter how small they are.

♡ Get on Pinterest and look for inspiring quotes.

♡ Go to your favorite store and look around.

♡ Go to a local park.

♡ Get outside and get dirty. A little dirt never hurt anyone, in fact it makes you feel carefree and fun.

♡ Walk. Around the mall, around your neighborhood, around the park.

♡ Play with a dog or cat (or any creature you think is cute).
Don't have one of your own? You know someone who does OR go to the animal shelter or pet store.

♡ Think about your dream day. Bonus points if you write it down and actually follow through with it.

♡ Go to a local bakery. Buy yourself a treat.

♡ Read.

♡ Make an inspiration board, either on Pinterest or actually out of a poster board and old magazines.

♡ Pray. God is always there.

♡ Remember not everyone's problems are your problems.

♡ Find inspirational blogs. I've got great recommendations if you need them.

♡ Drink more water.

Those are just a few things I like to do when i'm kinda down and out, having a bad day. Make it a habit though, not just on bad days. If you make it a habit you'll just become a happier person overall.

Take care of yourself, your health and your soul. Have a morning routine that doesn't involve grabbing your phone and scrolling Facebook the second the alarm goes off. That's something I've been working on lately. Instead I turn off the alarm and spend 5-10 praying for the health and safety of my loved ones for the day. I have been feeling much better since I started doing that. I'm not staying glued to Facebook all day everyday either. I check it a few times through out the day still, along with Instagram. I spend a lot of time here though, on my blog because it's my internet happy place. My afternoons i'm trying hard to break the habit of staying glued to my phone or iPad and enjoy quality time with my guys.
I'm trying to take care of myself, too by doing my hair and make up every morning even if i'm putting on sweatpants and a tee shirt and spending the day at home. At night i'm trying hard to get back into my bed time routine. It's important for me to take good care of my skin + it helps me wind down after the day. I love going to bed with a fresh face.

Try those things. I promise they'll help and remember this:

No comments

Thanks for stopping by and leaving some love. Have a peachy day.