10 Minutes


*Sometimes life happens. Inspiration just isn't there and I simply feel overwhelmed. I've been feeling this way lately. I can't seem to find the focus to get the words out so I sat down with my lap top the other day and set a timer for 10 minutes. The words below are what came of that. They may not make sense to anyone else but that's okay. My hope is to inspire you when you feel un-inspired and overwhelmed. Sit down, write the words. Everything may be messy but that's the beauty in it. The words, the heart, the hair-it's all messy and that's okay. There's beauty in the mess. Embrace it.*


I'm a huge believer in taking time to take care of yourself. I hear women often say "I just don't have the time to take care of myself" and it makes me want to grab them and run to the nearest nail salon for mani/pedis then stop off at a coffee shop on the way home to enjoy some coffee and conversation. It's not that we don't have the time, it's that we don't make the time. Maybe it sounds silly to write "Me time" on our calendars but it's something that is necessary because how can you take care of anyone else if you are ragged and worn out? In order to do anything efficently you have to be in the best shape; mentally, physically, emotionally and spiritually that you can.

We all wear many hats; we're chaueffeurs, cooks, nurses, cheerleaders-you name it, we do it and sometimes it gets exhausting. I know. I've been there many times and lately i've been there again. It's not that life isn't great, mine is honestly the best it's ever been. I'm married to my best friend, we have an amazing son, a sweet pup, a cozy home, groceries in our kitchen, air conditioning, running water. You name it, it's covered. Lately though i've been feeling a bit overwhelmed and it really has nothing to do with the things going on in my life but rather, the things that are in my mind. See, we're in the midst of building a home and our son will be starting high school next year. Those things give me anxiety, I won't lie but I still don't feel like that's to blame for my feelings lately. I feel detached. I feel un-inspired and i've been trying to figure out why then it came to me; i'm not taking care of my mind.

I'm great at taking "me time" but i'm not great at using that "me time" to empty my mind or even stop for a few minutes and let thoughts process. I feel like I have 3,000 tabs open in my brain at any given time. "What weekend did my husband say he has to work?" "Do I have everything in order for Dylan for high school?" "Did I e-mail the builder everything I needed to?" "Blog posts. Oh yeah, gotta work on blog posts." "Did I send so and so an e-mail back?" "Is everyone participating in my Birthday Cheer gift swap?" "Who has a birthday coming up?"
"What do I need to do for dinner tonight?" "Are all Alex's work clothes ironed?"

I haven't spent enough time getting prepared for this week so it's been exceptionally bad. I didn't make a meal plan. I didn't write my posts in my planner. I didn't add anything to my planner so when I start to think of all these things I get overwhelmed and plain exhausted. I'm not sure when it happened, or why we all feel the need to be June Cleaver meets Wonder Woman but it's not fulfilling and it certainly isn't helping anyone. So today I begrudginly went to Target (that's painful to even say) to grab toilet paper and a few other necessities that I over looked on yesterday's grocery shopping trip because without toilet paper, we'd be knocking on the neighbors door. And this morning I made a meal plan so there's no more waking up at 3 a.m. wondering what I should make for dinner that day. Yes, that's a true story.

Moral of the story, taking "me time" means so much more than running a bath with a bath bomb and a face mask or treating yourself to your favorite Starbucks drink. "Me Time" means taking care of your mind and soul, too. I started reading a book today that caught my eye at Target. I picked it up, flipped through it, sat it down, walked away and came back to it two more times before something in me said "put the lipstick back and buy the book." It's all about budgeting these days, y'all so I did what my heart (or maybe my mind) said to do and bought the book. It's a good for your soul kinda book. It inspires me and i've only read the intro. My mind needed this much more than it needed another lipstick. I need to clear my mind and focus on peace and happiness from within.

Do you practice taking care of your mind? If not, i'll share with you some of the ways i'm learning to. Read an inspiring book. Meditate, pray or do yoga. Make a fairy garden. Put together a gift basket for someone. Start an inspiration journal. Turn off the tv and listen to inspirational music. Listen to a podcast and be fully present, take notes. Grab a girlfriend for a coffee date. Lay out in the grass and watch the clouds go by. Whatever you do, take care of yourself; mind, body, soul and mind.

No comments

Thanks for stopping by and leaving some love. Have a peachy day.